Latest Event Updates
Thanks to our amazing volunteers and sponsors, here’s how we put on a £15,000 event for less than £700
Wrapping up the accounts for Leeds GovJam 2014 has highlighted just how much we relied on our volunteers and sponsors, and what fantastic value participants got for their ticket price.
At full commercial rates, including venue hire and GovJam team costs, we estimate that a two-day event of this scale for 40 people would cost at least £15,000.
In the open spirit of the jam, here’s the detail of how we did it…
We’ve had a couple of lovely write-ups from last week’s Govjam.
So what did we learn? Well, first up, we learned about the importance of playfulness in eliminating fear in teams. We were inspired to try new approaches, to work in new ways and to ‘fail fast’. Ideas blossomed and became real through prototyping. And teams were actively encouraged to take their prototypes outside of the building, to test their ideas (and assumptions) on others, and to invite challenge from ‘customers’. Crucially, the time constraint of the two-day event meant that teams had to keep moving and iterating their concepts at pace in order to improve them. Any organisation can learn from such an approach to service design.
Leeds City Council Service Improvement Officer Andi Elliott made his notes as a document which he’s kindly allowed us to reproduce below. We particularly like his take-outs from the event too:
What value was gained from the day?
The event ‘blurb’ suggests ‘Govjam is a practical way to find out about service design and how it can make a difference to where we work. What we actually learnt from taking part in this event was:
* Ideas, improvements, concept development and communication on a local or global basis can be achieved in very short time frames and with simple tools.
* That by imposing shorter time frames, project decision making be- comes simpler and more direct with less need for meetings.
* Available resources can be adapted rather than always using new ones.
* Any colleague at whatever level can do this.
And GovJam team member Si Wilson blogged about his experience of the jam:
I was chuffed to bits the event went so well, as did the rest of the team running the event. What’ll be interesting for me will be what the attendees do next, and hopefully those guys will report back at some point in the not-too-distant-future about how some of the GovJam spirit has helped them within their services!
Thanks to Lisa, Rebecca, Andi and Si for their write-ups. If you’ve written about Leeds GovJam, please let us know!
Each Leeds GovJammer was given a passport to be stamped for every service design method they tried…
We made these posters to explain the methods a little more…
As with everything made during GovJam, we’re releasing the posters under a Creative Commons License. Share and enjoy!
The first ever Leeds GovJam is over. We’ll say a proper thank you to everyone who made it happen over the coming days. For now just look at the amazing services our 6 teams of jammers prototyped – all in less than 48 hours of learning by doing…
Leeds GovJam is less than one week away. Our team of volunteers are busy preparing to welcome more than 35 people to ODI-Leeds on Tuesday.
But we’ve found the time to revisit our favourite service design links and tools which we’re sharing here. Wherever you’re jamming, we hope you’ll enjoy the selection below…
What is Service Design?
- Service Design Network – What is service design?
- Design for Service – Books for Service Designers
- Jeff Howard – Design for Service
- This is Service Design Thinking
- Service Design Books
Two weeks to go until the first ever Leeds GovJam! Over on Eventbrite you can see the 30+ people already signed up to be part of it and book your place to join them.
We’ll also be linking up with jams around the world in the Global GovJam. Check out all these places where people will be trying out new ways to rock the public sector:
- AUSTRALIA, GovJam Melb 2014, Melbourne
- CANADA, Ottawa
- CHILE, Antofagasta GOV JAM
- CHILE, Santiago Govjam
- COLOMBIA, Bogotá GovJam
- FINLAND, Helsinki GovJam 2014
- GERMANY, GovJam Hamburg
- ITALY, Milan
- JAPAN, GovJam Tokyo
- MALAYSIA, GovImpact Jam (Kuala Lumpur)
- NETHERLANDS, Rotterdam GovJam 2014
- NEW ZEALAND, GovJam Whangarei
- NORWAY, GovJam Oslo
- POLAND: A1. Warsaw GovJam 2014
- SLOVENIA, Ljubljana GovJam
- SPAIN, Barcelona
- SPAIN, Ponte GovJam (Pontevedra)
- SOUTH KOREA , Seoul GovJam
- SWEDEN, Stockholm GovJam
- TAIWAN, Taichung
- TAIWAN, Tainan GovJam
- TAIWAN, GovJam in Taipei
- THAILAND, Bangkok Public Service Jam
- UAE, Dubai GovJam
- UK, X-Jam Gov (Exeter)
- UK, Leeds GovJam
- UK, Manchester GovJam
- USA, GovJam CLE (Cleveland)
Want to join us in Leeds?